- China is kicking off its leadership handover november 8 .
- For investment bankers in hong kong , 1997 was a tumultuous year and not just because of the handover .
- And it claimed boris johnson had " produced gales of laughter " after announcing during his handover speech that " ping-pong was coming home " .
- But the handover reinforced the perception that talks have not been going well , with little progress made towards narrowing differences between developed and developing countries over emissions cuts and financing .
- The whimsy of the british performance at the olympic handover , featuring twirling umbrellas and a doubledecker bus , suggested that britain would not attempt to match the pageantry and stadiums that cost china billions .