- Magnon needed two children ; the thenardiers had two .
- One day , he chanced to say to magnon as she handed him his monthly stipend of ten francs : " the father must give them some education . "
- Only , the thenardier exacted for this loan of her children , ten francs a month , which magnon promised to pay , and which she actually did pay .
- The woman magnon , who was mentioned a few pages further back , was the same one who had succeeded in making old gillenormand support the two children which she had had .
- On the evening of the day when she had handed over her two little ones to magnon , with express intention of renouncing them forever , the thenardier had felt , or had appeared to feel , a scruple .